by Mike Levin SEO & Datamaster, 11/25/2013
Progress must be iterative. Momentum must be cumulative. Together, amazing things can be accomplished in a lifetime. But a lifetime is really just barely enough. Time slips by: hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades. It is possible for nearly a lifetime to go by with almost no progress on all the fronts you once intended. This Monday morning daily work journal entry is about the fact that it is possible to understood and correct this situation if noticed and desired.
Life seems about equally unpredictable and predictable, with the distribution of what you can pretty easily know, and what’s impossible to predict more-or-less following the Pareto curve, like so many other things in life. The vast majority of things fall into the rhythmic daily patterns that hypnotize and lull us into complacency. The daily grind is the enemy. Having achieved life’s basic necessities according the Maslow hierarchy of needs and in your heart knowing you need to go no further is the enemy. You know what it takes to survive, at the process of becoming an adult is greatly predicting these things intuitively, then coasting into old-age.
The things that lull us into this animal-life are the predicable things. That’s 80% of what’s going on, but the issue is that what’s left over in the remaining 20% is where all change rises from: people who are working outside the norm and overcoming their basic animal instincts. These people are the 20% high impact players who make all the difference. Of course, they burn out sooner and fail more frequently than those just going with the flow. It’s a harder life, with a different risk/reward ratio than other people are comfortable with. None-the-less, that’s where all the difference is made, and for my limited lifetime on this earth, that’s the type of person I would rather be - although my behavior and place in this world looks much more like the undifferentiated 80%.
Okay, now THAT’S a Monday morning journal entry. The more your thoughts and keyboard are flowing, the faster and better you will get to your goals. You are being thoughtful and processing your thoughts. That is huge advantage. It is in this act that you bootstrap your consciousness and pull yourself up and out of the 80% flock. Doing so by typing into vim and mastering the keyboard shortcuts that give you a nearly telepathic command over text is just another example of how you are doing this. And that you’re doing it into your own server in the cloud, in a file that’s in a distributed revision control system, keeping your thoughts secure in the “who can read this” sense, and secure in the “keep copies in more than one place” sense, makes it even all the more so. And that you have a way to selectively publish excerpts from your daily work journal, in a way where you chain up bash and python commands to hit the WordPress API, so that your publishable thoughts and ideas can work for you 24/7 to help build notoriety in this new Google+ reputation-driven world makes it even all the more so.
(And if that made sense to you, congratulations. You are the .0000001% of the population in the center of a geeky venn diagram that is my the audience who will appreciate and draw something from my writing.)
Okay sure, so I might not have made it financially like some of the other lucky geniuses out there who used iterative gains and compounding momentum to their advantage starting earlier in life with a more focused passion. But I am only forty-three years old, and the picture is finally starting to come into focus. All I need to do is have a truly interesting passion that others also might be interested in, and then put myself out there consistently and move towards that vision relentlessly, where even my little steps forward somehow interest and engage, and perchance even help, people out there.
I have exactly what I need now, in Levinux - my own remix of Linux that runs with a double-click on the desktop of almost any Windows, Mac or other Linux computer. However, it does have to be Intel/AMD-style x86 hardware. Despite all my doubts, x86 hardware is not in its final throes, and it’s what desktop Macs and PCs will be based on for a long time to come. And with the advent of the Bay Trail quad-core Atom processors with the integrated Intel GPUs, x86 technology even has a shot at having some market share in mobile. My approach that leans on QEMU for an absolutely identical code execution environment across “all” desktop hardware is an absolutely correct one. I need to hunker-down, lean-in and run all the way with this thing.