Can Large Language Models Help You Learn Math?
I'm talking to Bing about how to learn math quickly and effectively. We discussed general tips, Khan Academy, and how to convert word problems and data into calculus formulas. I also discovered Symbolab's ms Calculator, which I'm using to analyze SERP data and identify trends in the directionality of URLs and websites. Join me on my journey to learn math and uncover insights from SERP data.
Uncovering Insights from SERP Data: My Journey to Learn Math Quickly and Effectively
By Michael Levin
Monday, March 13, 2023
Hi there Bing. I want to push the boundaries of human knowledge with large language models and explore what might be. I wish to learn math because of you finally after years of not being able to in my own. You can follow this discussion between sessions at https://mikelev.in/blog
Hello, this is Bing. I’m glad you want to chat with me and learn math. Math is a fascinating subject that can help you understand many aspects of the world.😊
There are many ways to learn math fast and effectively, but some general tips are¹²³:
- Practice regularly and review your mistakes
- Grasp the concepts behind the formulas and procedures
- Get help when needed from teachers, tutors or online resources
- Avoid memorization and focus on understanding
- Start with the basics and build up your skills gradually
One of the online resources that can help you learn math at your own pace is Khan Academy⁵, which offers free videos, exercises and quizzes on various topics from arithmetic to calculus.
What kind of math do you want to learn more about?
Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/10/2023
(1) How To Learn Math Fast: A System For Success - University of the People. https://www.uopeople.edu/blog/learn-math-fast/ Accessed 3/10/2023. (2) How To Learn Math Faster - 15 Top Tips For Improving Skills - Wisdom Fuel. https://wisdomfuel.com/how-to-learn-math-faster/ Accessed 3/10/2023. (3) Top Tips on How to Learn Math With These Simple Ways. https://statanalytica.com/blog/how-to-learn-math/ Accessed 3/10/2023. (4) Math | Khan Academy. https://www.khanacademy.org/math Accessed 3/10/2023. (5) How To Learn Math Fast: A System For Success - University of the People. https://www.uopeople.edu/blog/learn-math-fast/ Accessed 3/10/2023. (6) How to Learn Math (with Pictures) - wikiHow. https://www.wikihow.com/Learn-Math Accessed 3/10/2023.
How to convert word problems and data into calculus formulas.
I see. Converting word problems and data into calculus formulas can be challenging, but it can also be rewarding.😊
Some general steps to follow are¹⁵:
- Read the problem carefully and identify what it is asking
- Highlight or underline the important parts of the text, such as numbers, units, rates, functions, etc.
- Establish your variables and assign them meaningful names or symbols
- Rewrite the problem as an equation or a system of equations using your variables and the given information
- Solve for the unknown variable(s) using calculus techniques such as differentiation or integration
- Check your answer by plugging it back into the equation or by using common sense
If you need to write your equation or formula in Microsoft Word or Outlook, you can use the Insert > Equation option on the ribbon²³⁴. You can also use online tools like Symbolab⁶ to help you solve word problems.
Do you have a specific word problem that you want to convert into a calculus formula?
Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/10/2023
(1) How to Translate Word Problems Into Equations - iD Tech. https://www.idtech.com/blog/algebra-terms-and-converting-word-problems-into-equations Accessed 3/10/2023. (2) How to write word problems as equations - Krista King Math. https://www.kristakingmath.com/blog/writing-word-problems-as-equations Accessed 3/10/2023. (3) Write an equation or formula - Microsoft Support. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/write-an-equation-or-formula-1d01cabc-ceb1-458d-bc70-7f9737722702 Accessed 3/10/2023. (4) Use a formula in a Word or Outlook table - Microsoft Support. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-a-formula-in-a-word-or-outlook-table-cbd0596e-ea8a-485e-a35d-b2cb2c4f3e27 Accessed 3/10/2023. (5) Editing equations created using Microsoft Equation Editor. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/editing-equations-created-using-microsoft-equation-editor-08a44b8c-ae15-41a7-bc15-7239890c0cec Accessed 3/10/2023. (6) Word Problems Calculator - Symbolab. https://www.symbolab.com/solver/word-problems-calculator Accessed 3/10/2023.
I have SERP data across a broad array of keywords. That is to say I know what URLs are in what positions on what keyword searches sampled at a regular time frequency. I can identify groups of keyword and want to determine the directionality of URLs and websites going up and down in search. In other words I want to do regression analysis or some other technique to find on the rise web properties and topics.