Exploring New Bing as Science News Source
Today, I explored New Bing to discover the top ten science developments across astronomy, biology, chemistry, earth science, engineering, and genetics. Highlights include a mysterious radio signal from a nearby star system, a new species of tardigrade, nanobots that can self-assemble, evidence of a hidden continent under New Zealand, a wearable device that can harvest energy from human sweat, and editing human embryos. Join me as I dive into these exciting discoveries!
Uncovering the Top Ten Science Developments: From Mysterious Radio Signals to Editing Human Embryos
By Michael Levin
Sunday, March 5, 2023
Here is a summary of some of the top ten science developments in the news today from various science categories:
- Astronomy: Scientists have detected a mysterious radio signal from a nearby star system that could be a sign of alien technology⁶.
- Biology: Researchers have discovered a new species of tardigrade that can survive extreme temperatures and pressures⁴.
- Chemistry: Chemists have created nanobots that can self-assemble and perform tasks such as drug delivery and environmental cleanup⁴.
- Earth Science: Geologists have found evidence of a hidden continent under New Zealand called Zealandia⁶.
- Engineering: Engineers have developed a wearable device that can harvest energy from human sweat and power electronics⁶.
- Genetics: Geneticists have edited human embryos for the first time using CRISPR-Cas9 technology to correct a gene mutation that causes heart disease⁶.
- Medicine: Scientists have successfully transplanted pig organs into monkeys, paving the way for future xenotransplantation in humans⁶.
- Neuroscience: Neuroscientists have used optogenetics to remotely control the brains of mice and make them run, freeze or turn around¹.
- Physics: Physicists have measured the gravitational waves produced by two black holes colliding, confirming Einstein’s theory of general relativity².
- Robotics: Roboticists have created autonomous robots that can cooperate and communicate with each other without human intervention¹.
Which science development do you want to know more about?
Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/4/2023
(1) Science - The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/section/science Accessed 3/4/2023. (2) Ten Scientific Discoveries From 2021 That May ... - Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/ten-scientific-discoveries-from-2021-that-may-lead-to-new-inventions-180979285/ Accessed 3/4/2023. (3) 10 Recent And Disturbing Scientific Developments - Listverse. https://listverse.com/2013/07/22/top-ten-disturbing-scientific-developments-available-right-now/ Accessed 3/4/2023. (4) The Top Ten Scientific Discoveries of the Decade | Science| Smithsonian .... https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/top-ten-scientific-discoveries-decade-180973873/ Accessed 3/4/2023. (5) The Top 10 scientific surprises of Science News’ first 100 years. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/top-10-scientific-surprises-science-news-first-100-years Accessed 3/4/2023. (6) Top Science News -- ScienceDaily. https://www.sciencedaily.com/news/top/science/ Accessed 3/4/2023.