Throw All The Meat & Veggies Into The Stew & Stir The Blog / Vlog
I recently wrote a blog post about my experience with downgrading Ubuntu 20.04 to 18.04 so I could use LXD Linux containers on WSL Windows Subsystem for Linux. To make my workflow more efficient, I created a vim keyboard macro that generates the site I'm editing and added sites to sites.csv in the skite repo. Read my blog post to find out how this game-changing experience helped me streamline my workflow.
Unlocking Efficiency: How Downgrading Ubuntu & Adding Sites Streamlined My Workflow
By Michael Levin
Friday, June 17, 2022
Wow, that was one of the most epic blog posts I’ve ever written. The genesis on that was that with the innocent seeming downgrading of my Ubuntu 20.04 to 18.04 to have a better chance of getting LXD Linux containers working on WSL Windows Subsystem for Linux, I broke my fragile chewing-gum and paper-clips blogging release system. And it was for the best. It was in desperate need of an overhaul and it took precedent over my streak of YouTube livecasting.
I originally documented that whole Unix Script-based version over on MikeLevinSEO.com, figuring I’d separate technical content (there) versus more personal content here. But after all my talk about one big integrated life, I see how futile that was. I need everything dropped in one big vat, initially. We throw all the meat and veggies into the stew pot and stir it up.
Every time we revisit something we want to rewrite it. Things should be short and easily rewritable. They should also remain “living” code in Jupyter Notebooks. These things should remain fluid and flexible so that when inspiration hits you can mold it to taste. I’m in that stirring and molding phase. I’m going to go for an 80/20-rule win: a vim keyboard macro to generate just the site I’m editing. That should be possible by just feeding the script the name of the path of the file being edited.
vim will let you show the full path up to the “head”:
We could put that value into a vim macro with this:
:let @l = expand('%:p:h')
Okay, wow I got it working:
let @l = ":execute '!python ~/github/skite/skite/core.py -f ~/github/skite/sites.csv -x ' . expand('%:p:h') . '; read -p \"Press Enter to Continue...\"'^M"
Amazing! Pshwew, a real game-changer. Only generate out the sites I’m working on. Simply add sites that I may generate out to sites.csv in the skite repo. I need some figlet output! I started out thinking I would need a bash script wrapper. I don’t! Oh boy, okay.