You Won't Be Using Windows in 5 Years
by Mike LevinSaturday, July 30, 2022
If you really want to blow up here on YouTube (speaking to myself) without compromising yourself as one of those bombastic hyperbole algorithm chasers, you need to do some better communicating about what’s coming. The “elevator pitch” such as it were.
- Are you ready for the future?
- The future is *nix, like it or not.
- You’ll hardly even see/know it occurs (like the Mac OS9 to OSX switch)
- Most desktop software has unreasonably fast (profit-driven) churn
- Tired of all your knowledge & know-how going obsolete every 2 to 5 years?
- All research leads to “VIRTUAL MACHINES” but don’t get confused. Stupid term!
- It’s really all about RESOURCE ISOLATION. Strong walls between things.
- These tricks go back to 1967 (pre-Unix) and BCPL by Martin Richards in the UK
- Unix was invented 1970, but around 1982 the “chroot” command formalized the
- The rest is details pertaining to performance, security and the like.