Allow GitHub To Use My Code Snippets For Product Improvements
I recently uncovered the power of AI and put it to work for me in my work-journal. To get the most out of these tools, I configured my GitHub Copilot settings in my JetBrains IDE or on GitHub.com. I'm excited to see how GitHub will use my code snippets to improve their products and how my journal.md entries will be transformed. See what AI can do for me - click through to find out more!
Unlocking AI Power for My Work-Journal - Allowing GitHub to Use My Code Snippets for Product Improvements
By Michael Levin
Monday, April 17, 2023
No matter your resources, things take time to occur. So find the fun in having to sit and wait, when you find yourself having to. I find myself having to sit and wait all the time as I release my blog posts through this long-form journal.md slice & dice system I made, called chopchop.py. So, make it fun to watch! And that generally means Figlet. More and more it’s coming to mean the Python PyPI.or (pip installable) package called rich. But this post is mostly to sing the praises of watching the command-line while your script runs.
_ _ _____ _ _ _ | | | |___ ___ | ___(_) __ _| | ___| |_ | | | / __|/ _ \ | |_ | |/ _` | |/ _ \ __| | |_| \__ \ __/ | _| | | (_| | | __/ |_ \___/|___/\___| |_| |_|\__, |_|\___|\__| |___/
I’m gong to walk you through a bit of Tech 101. You think you know tech, but you don’t know tech until you can explain this back to me and put it into practical use.
Think about the new AI capabilities that I recently proved to myself that I really can put to work for me. Think abut the best, most logical, most modest and most ambitious uses you can put it to in your life. Think about how broad an area of problem domains in your life to which it might be applied. It is intelligence for hire, and I already hired it to be here with me in my daily work-journal in the form of Github Copilot.
I also buy intelligence by the pay-per-play model with the OpenAI API, which I used to summarize my blog posts (unpublished), write meta descriptions from those summaries (original articles too big), and extract keywords and write a subhead. Of all these projects, the keywording one had the most problems and nuance. Even now, a majority of may pages I believe are without having the meta keywords filled in.
And so, cool visual output! And so why not close the loop on the SEO’ing of my site, and blending it with the new AI-reality? No reason why not! And so that’s what I’ll do, and so that’s what I’m doing. Go figure out how to let OpenAI learn from me and use my code with other people.
Me: how do i change my github copilot setting to let it learn from me?
ChatGPT: You can change your GitHub Copilot settings in your JetBrains IDE or on GitHub.com.
To change your settings on GitHub.com:
- In the upper-right corner of any page, click your profile photo, then click Settings.
- In the left sidebar, click GitHub Copilot.
- To allow or prevent GitHub using your telemetry data, select or deselect Allow GitHub to use my code snippets for product improvements.
- To confirm your new settings, click Save.
To change your settings in your JetBrains IDE:
- Click the File menu, then click Settings.
- Under Languages & Frameworks, click GitHub Copilot.
- Edit the settings according to your personal preferences.
I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 4/17/2023
(1) Configuring GitHub Copilot in your environment - GitHub Docs. https://docs.github.com/en/copilot/configuring-github-copilot/configuring-github-copilot-in-your-environment Accessed 4/17/2023. (2) Configuring GitHub Copilot settings on GitHub.com. https://docs.github.com/en/copilot/configuring-github-copilot/configuring-github-copilot-settings-on-githubcom Accessed 4/17/2023.
Ah! So it’s in Github.com / Settings / Copilot
I wonder what it’s going to make of journal.md work-journal entries, haha!
Okay, that’s actually a nice concrete outcome of this post. I’m putting my Github Settings where my mouth is.
Loosing time to tooling is often quite a shame. But to do recalibration will reduce a lot of pain.